Finally Redsn0w 0.9.7b4 (Beta 4) untethered jailbreak tool for iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G and iPad has been released by Dev Team. This time there is no need to install usbmux for the jailbreak to work. The update was announced by official Dev Team twitter account. All you need is an already jailbroken device (tethered) on iOS 4.2.1 and SHSH blobs saved on Cydia server.
The fourth beta is now available (testers ONLY please!). Starting with this version, redsn0w no longer requires you to install and run a separate program for the usbmux (this was a non-trivial procedure for many). It’s okay to keep that program running if you normally use it for ssh anyway. We also think we’ve fixed a race condition in the GUI that was causing redsn0w to crash during the “Preparing JB Monte Files” step. Nothing at all has changed on the iPhone side (where the main issues are still just Bluetooth and Skype).
Beware : Jailbreak your device on your own risk, because this is not the final release.
- Tethered jailbroken iOS 4.2.1 running on iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iPad or iPod touch 4G
- SHSH blobs saved for iOS 4.2 Beta 3.
- Redsn0w 0.9.7b4 ( Click here to download)
- Apple Mac
- Official iOS 4.2.1 ipsw firmware file and iOS 4.2 Beta 3 ipsw firmware file
- iTunes 10.1.1 or newer
How to jailbreak?
- Launch Redsn0w and browse to the iOS 4.2.1 official ipsw firmware file.
- Keep clicking Next and Redsn0w will ask you for Jailbreak mode. Select Untether. Click next.
- Redsn0w will ask you to point the iOS 4.2 beta 3 ipsw file.
- Now follow the instructions as Redsn0w asks you to do.